Are you not able to use Netflix on your Vizio TV? Maybe you found that Amazon isn’t working or maybe you checked your Network settings and saw a message that says “Download Not Available”.
Loss of internet connection can happen on any connected device. Luckily there are ways around this so you can get online and start using your apps again.
Connecting Your TV To The Internet
Getting your TV connected to the internet is pretty simple. If you plan on connecting using a hardwired connection all you need to do is connect an Ethernet cord from your router to your TV. Then you’re done!
Connecting to WiFi takes a few extra steps but it’s still pretty simple.
- Press MENU on your remote control. The opens the TV menu on the screen.
- Select NETWORK on the screen to access the internet connection preferences.
- All available WiFi networks will be listed here. Select your Wifi network and press the OK button on the remote. If your wireless network has a password you will then be prompted to enter it.
That’s it! After you type your WiFi password in your TV will then be able to get online. Now you can start using Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu and all the other awesome apps.
“My Apps Are Not Working!”
if your apps are not working there is a good chance there is an internet connection problem with your device but problems with apps can be caused by other things. The firs thing to do is to check to make sure this is an internet connection problem.
How To Confirm You Have An Internet Connection Problem In 3 Easy Steps!
- First press the MENU button on your remote control. This will make the onscreen menu appear on the TV display.
- Select the option on the screen that says NETWORK. This will open the internet connection settings menu.
- Then select the section that says TEST CONNECTION. This tests the strength and speed of the internet connection.
Now that you have selected the Test Connection button you will see a page that gives you information about your TV’s network connection. We first want to make sure your TV is even connected to your network.
If your TV is connected to the internet wirelessly you will see the name of your WiFi network listed on this screen. If you don’t see the name of your wireless network then that means your TV is no longer connected to your network. Repeat the steps above to connect your TV to your network.
Maybe you do see your WiFi network listed. That’s great because this confirms the TV is talking to your WiFi router. There’s something else causing an issue though. Look on the screen for a section labeled DOWNLOAD. This section lists tells us if the TV is actually able to use the internet. It may take a few moments for the download section to appear on the screen so just give your TV a few moments to think.
Hopefully the DOWNLOAD section has a few numbers listed next to it. If there are numbers listed there that means the TV can get online now. The numbers are a measurement of the internet connection speed. This is measure in Kbps (kilobytes per second).
Ideally you would like to have an internet connection speed of 3000 Kbps or higher. If you do then you should have no problem using the apps on your TV. You can get away with a slower connection but if it’s too slow then you may not be able to use apps. A speed of 500 Kbps will almost certainly keep you from being able to use any apps on your TV. If it’s slow then you may need to contact your internet service provider about the speed of your internet connection.
If you don’t have a internet connection speed listed then that means your TV is not yet about to use the internet. After selecting Test Connection you might see a message saying DOWNLOAD NOT AVAILABLE. This means the TV does not have a connection to the internet yet. But don’t worry because we can fix that!
How To Fix “Download Not Available”
“Download Not Available” means your TV cannot connect to the internet yet. If you have already verified the TV is connected to your WiFi network there are several things that could be causing the “Download Not Available” message.
Of course I’m assuming your other WiFi connected devices can get online. Test out another wireless device like a laptop or a tablet to see if it can connect to the internet. If it can then your internet connection is working and you should move onto the following steps. If it cannot then there is an issue with your network and you should call your internet provider.
1. Make Sure DHCP Is Turned On
DCHP or dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is a setting that ensures the TV can get information it needs from your wireless router to connect to the internet. In almost all cases you want this setting to be on. There are a few cases were it may need to be turned off but these are rare.
- Press MENU.
- Select NETWORK on the display.
- Select MANUAL SETUP on the display.
When you select MANUAL SETUP you will see a section at the top labeled DHCP. Next to it will be the word ON or OFF. If it’s off and you’re having an internet connection problem then turn it on. Then test out your apps to see if they are working.
If they are working now that’s great! You’re done and you can begin using your apps. If you still can’t use your apps then move onto the next step.
2. Power Cycle Your TV and Router
This is pretty simple. All you need to do is just unplug your TV, your modem, and your wireless router from the power.
It’s not enough to just turn them off. You must disconnect them from the power outlet. Leave everything unplugged for at least 60 seconds. Then reconnect your modem and router to the power first. Gives these a few moments to power up. You will know they are on again when all the lights are lit up.
Then plug the TV and power it on. Go to your network settings and select TEST CONNECTION again. If you see a download speed then your TV is online. If it still says “Download Not Available” then the TV is still not online.
3. Reset Your TV To Factory Defaults
Now it’s time for the nuclear option!
Resetting your TV takes it back to the factory settings. It makes it just like it was when you first took it out of the box. If none of the previous steps have worked this is what you want to try next.
The menu’s on Vizio TVs differ slightly from model to model. There are two ways you will be able to reset the TV.
How To Reset On TVs Two years Old Or Newer
- Press MENU on your remote.
- Select SYSTEM from the onscreen menu.
- Select RESET AND ADMINISTRATION.
- Choose the option labeled RESET TV TO FACTORY DEFAULTS.
- The TV will now ask you to confirm you want to reset. Select RESET on the screen.
The TV will now reset itself. The start up menu will walk you through the steps of connecting to the TV to your wifi network again and will prompt you to set up your cable or satellite TV service.
After completing the TV setup to to your network settings and test your internet connection again. Do you see a download speed listed? Great! You’re online now. If not then move onto step 4.
4. Changing Router Settings
Vizio TVs have trouble connecting to the internet when using certain wifi routers. This is because of security settings on routers. You want to make sure that your router is using an internet connection settings called WPA PSK TKIP. This is the security setting that works best with Vizio TVs.
You can call your internet service provider to ask them how to change the security type of the router to WPA PSK TKIP.
If you use Comcast Xfinity internet service you will probably have a Arris brand router. The most common model is TG862. These often have security settings that cause conflicts with Vizio TVs. Luckily the settings of these routers are easy to change.
How To Change Security Settings On An Arris Wireless Router
- You will need a laptop or a desktop computer for this steps. Open a web browser (like Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Google Chrome) and type “10.0.0.0” into the address bar (leave the quotation marks out when you type it in). This will open the router settings log in screen.
- The log in screen will have fields for typing in your username and your password. The username by default is “admin’ and the default password is “password”. Remember to type these in without the quotation marks and int lower case. Once you type this in you now have access to your router settings.
- Click on CONNECTION on the left side of the screen.
- Click on WiFi on the left side of the display.
- Click on the EDIT button on the right side of the display.
- There will be a drop down menu labeled Security Type now. This is where you can choose the type of security settings your WiFi router uses. Click on the drop down menu to see the available options. There will be several security types listed. Choose the one labeled WPA PSK TKIP. There may be several with similar names but make sure to use WPA PSK TKIP.
- Then click on SAVE CHANGES.
Now test the internet connection on your TV. You may need to unplug the TV 60 seconds or reset the TV to factory defaults and sign into your wifi network again in order to get online.
Once you test your internet connection hopefully you will see a download speed listed. If you do you are done and you can now start watching your TV apps.
“But I Still Can’t Use My Apps!”
If you are still unable to use your apps after completing the above steps there is still an issue with the TV or your internet connection. It’s time to call Vizio customer service at this point because there may be some underlying problem with your TV that requires it to be serviced.
Contact Vizio Technical support at:
1 (877) 698-4946
A friendly US based representative will be able to help you diagnose the problem and find a solution so you can start using your internet apps.