If you have cable or satellite TV service you might want to program a new remote to your Vizio TV. Programming a remote is just the simple process of using a new remote to control the television.
Most cable TV and satellite TV companies provide a set top box for each TV that uses the service. These cable and satellite boxes include a remote control to choose what channel you want to watch.
When these set-top boxes are connected to a Vizio TV they will be able to control the channels but they cannot control the volume or the power of the TV at first You could use both the set-top box remote and your Vizio remote together but it is much more convenient to use only one remote.
The remotes that are provided with cable and satellite boxes are usually universal remotes. That means they can be programmed to work with new devices such as your Vizio television.
In order to program a new remote to your TV you will use a code that is compatible with both your remote and the Vizio TV. I will include the remote codes here and then provide instructions for programming the remotes further down.
There isn’t one code that will always work with a certain remote and a Vizio TV. Sometimes you might have to try several remote codes until you get one that works. Hopefully you don’t have to try every single one of these codes to get the set-top box remote programmed to your Vizio TV.
A universal remote will often use codes of a certain length. So if you know your remote only uses four digit codes or five digit codes then you only have to use codes of that length.
Two Digit Codes
Three Digit Codes
These codes are often used by Dish Network.
Four Digit Codes
- 1004 (usually used by AT&T U-verse remotes)
Five Digit Codes
Five digit codes are often compatible with DirecTV remotes among others.
Programming A Remote From Your Cable Or Satellite Provider
Here are the instructions for programming remotes from some of the most popular TV service providers. If your provider is not listed here or the instructions here do not work, contact your cable or satellite provider for further assistance.
Comcast Xfinity Remotes
- Power on the TV and the cable box.
- Press and hold the SETUP button on the remote until the LED light on the remote turns green.
- Type in the remote code.
- Press the TV POWER button on the remote to test if the code worked. if the TV powers off then the remote has been successfully programmed to the TV.
Time Warner Remotes
- Press and hold the TV and the OK buttons on the remote until the LED lights up.
- Type the remote code.
- Press the TV button on the remote again.
Cable One Remotes
- Press and hold the SETUP button until the LED blinks twice.
- Type in the remote code.
Dish Network Remotes
- Press and hold the TV button on the DirecTV remote.
- Use the remote keypad to type the remote code.
- Press the # button on the remote.
- Power on the TV and the satellite box.
- Press the MENU button on the remote.
- The satellite menu will appear on the TV screen. Select SETTINGS & HELP from the TV menu.
- Select SETTINGS from the onscreen menu.
- Select REMOTE CONTROL from the onscreen menu.
- Choose the PROGRAM REMOTE option on the TV screen.
- Instructions will appear on the TV screen. Read and follow the instructions to finished programming the remote.
AT&T U-Verse Remotes
- Press the MENU button on the U-Verse remote.
- Select HELP from the menu on the TV screen.
- Select REMOTE CONTROL SETUP on the TV screen.
- Follow the remaining onscreen instructions to finish programming the remote.
Using The Remote
Once you have programmed the remote you will be able to use it for controlling the volume and the power to a Vizio TV. These remotes are often not able to control Vizio Internet applications. If you want to use the apps you will need to use the original remote that came with your television.
If you have any questions or comments about remotes please leave them in the comments section below. Remember to like this page on Facebook and share on Twitter. Thanks for reading!